the martyrs

Father Teodoro Illera

Brother Joaquín Gómez

Brother Máximo Franco

Brother Joaquín José Puente

Brother Bernardo Puente

Brother Estanislao de Kotska Tajadura

Brother Ángel de la Iglesia

Brother Ricardo Guerra

Brother Acacio Mª Calleja

Mr. Gregorio Díez

Mrs. Camila Díez

Mr. Eliseo Moradillo

Sr. Andrea Solans

Sr. Mª Auxilio Noguera

Sr. Patrocinio Vilanova

Mother Carlota de la Visitación Duque


Born March 29, 1883, Las Quintanilllas de Burgos. He lived with his uncle, a priest who inspired his religious life. Had he just arrived in Barcelona, he took vows in the congregation of San Pedro at Vincula in 1901. After concluding his studies in Teaching, Philosophy and Theology, he became a priest in Burgos in 1914. Being a priest, he also worked as a teacher and local supervisor. He was elected General Adviser in 1931. There is still plenty of mail he wrote having these responsabilities in the General Secretary’s Office. 1936 he was Superior of the house in Sant Feliu de Llobregat (Barcelona). Always loyal to his duty, he was arrested together with the other priests and killed on the 27th July 1936 in the nearby town of Pallejà.

Religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula


Born July 26, 1895, Barrio de Alfoz de Bricia, Campino (Burgos). Some of his relatives were Brothers Escolapios. In 1910 he entered the San Pedro at Vincula order and after the period of internship, he took vows in 1912. He finished the military servive and was admitted as a priest in January 1922. July 20, 1936, the community of Barcelona was expelled and he moved to Sant Feliu de Llobregat. There he was arrested with the other priests the 26th. Taken to the local cells, at midnight, a group of soldiers from the near town of Molins de Rei, took them to the banks of the Llobregat river in Pallejà where they were killed around three o’clock in the morning July 27, 1936. He was always considered a loyal and reliable priest, who deserved to be trusted by his superiors.

Religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula


Born March 24, 1906, in Sotragero (Burgos), baptized on the next day and confirmed September 18, 1910. The oldest of 14 brothers. Entered the congregation being 19. He started the internship on May 22, 1926. Took the vows on September 24, 1932. Worked as a teacher in the Durán Children’s Home in Barcelona. Taken afterwards to Sant Feliu, where he carried out his duty as an enthusiastic teacher. July 26, 1936, some soldiers attacked the House and he had the same misfortune as his brothers; he was arrested and killed in the town of Pallejà. He was really reliable and joyful to his students; he also was a virtuous religous and felt great devotion to the Virgin.

Religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula


Born December 25, 1915, San Andrés de Montearados (Burgos).Three days later, he was baptize. He was confirmed on October 13, 1922. He began the novitiate on September 23, 1934 in Marseille five years after his brother Bernardo (Emilio) had started it. After a year, he professed. He returned to Spain, and based in Sant Feliu alternated his studies with some service to the students of the Asylum. On July 19, 1936, he was stationed in Barcelona. Having been his house assaulted he took refuge in some friends’ house. On July 26, visiting the religious of Sant Feliu, he was imprisoned among them. His career was that of his brothers. Murdered by the Llobregat, his agony lasted for four hours; At the time of picking the bodies up a militiaman who saw him alive dipped his head into the river until he was finally killed. He was fervent and observant, his application and piety were of admiration, and he responsibly attended to the foster children.

Religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula


Born March 5, 1911, San Andrés de Montearados (Burgos). He was baptized one thay after he was born and confirmed in September 1916. One aunt was an escolapia religious, and he had three uncles and three religious cousins ​​of San Pedro ad Víncula. With an uncle diocesan priest lived two years before joining the Congregation. He professed in Marseille on March 19, 1930. He had received the Minor Orders and finished 2nd year of Theology in July 1936. After the assault on the house in Barcelona, ​​he lived in some friends’ house. After he had been recognized in the street he was imprisoned and was interrogated. He showed fidelity, strength and firmness in his faith. He was executed in Montjuïc for being religious. On the 27th, a corpse was admitted to the Clinical Hospital. The corpse was identified by a student and other acquaintances. He was reflective and pious person; He united effort, study and cordiality during his life; He turned his social concern into prayer and service.

Religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula


Born June 17, 1902, Quintanillas de Burgos. He was baptized three days later and received Confirmation in 1904. He became a member of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula and professed in 1919. He was entrusted with the position of nurse due to his sensitivity and dedication. When the militiamen stormed the house in Barcelona, ​​he was welcomed into houses of friends and family. He suffered different searches, arrests and interrogations. Because of that, he signed up as a volunteer in a group of militiamen, willing to go to the area of ​​no religious persecution; but he did not succeed; identified as a religious of Asilo-Duran, in Alcañiz (Teruel), he was tried and condemned. He was executed at dawn on September 18, 1936. He was very humble and put great application, dedication and care in all his duties. He acted with fidelity, faith, strength and prudence throughout the different steps of religious persecution.

Religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula


Born October 1, 1913 Nidáguila (Burgos). He was baptized the same day of his birth. He entered the Congregation in 1926. After his novitiate in Marseille, he professed on October 11, 1931 and returned to Barcelona to continue his studies and lived there until 1936; in this year, he professed of perpetual vows, he had finished 2nd of Theology and received the Minor Orders. The militiamen expelled him from the House-Asylum among the entire Community. After some incidents, persecutions and arrests, he was welcomed into the home of Gregorio Díez Blanco, where he stayed until February 15, 1937, the day he was arrested along with other five brothers and lay people. They were imprisoned in the “checa” of Sant Elies and, led to the Rabassada road where they were executed and thrown into a common grave. “He was intelligent and kind, noble and humble. In short: his name was his own, his life and his conduct were faultless. He was a true angel. “

Religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula


Born September 14, 1913, Arenilla de Riupisuerga (Burgos). He was baptized on the 17th of the same month. After the novitiate in Marseille he professed in the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula in 1931. Moved to Barcelona he continued his studies. He finished 2nd of Theology in 1936 and had been admitted to perpetual profession. Assaulted the house of Barcelona and expelled the religious, he was welcomed in different houses. During his visit to the religious in Gregorio’s house, the militiamen arrested him along with the other religious and laity. Their destination was common: Monastery of Sant Elies, shot in the Rabassada road and thrown into a common grave. Virtuous religious, he was a prototype of good educator, jovial and understanding.

Religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula


Born May 7, 1915, Yudejo (Burgos). He was baptized two days later. After the year of novitiate he professed in Marseille in 1934. He studied a degree in Humanities and in Philosophy in the house of Barcelona. The night the militiamen assaulted the house, he was taken along with another religious and a group of students. He lived hidden in the house of friends and acquaintances. He suffered searches and arrests. Finally, he took refuge in Gregorio’s house. He was one of the 6 prisoners, imprisoned and executed when the militiamen assaulted the house. He was a lover of his vocation, obedient, attentive to the needs of the students. It showed his fraternal spirit in community life.

Religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula


Born December 24, 1899, Nidáguila (Burgos). He was baptized the same day of his birth and confirmed in 1903. For work reasons he moved to Barcelona and worked in the tram company. He married Paulina Díez Anidobro and had four children. Paulina died on March 24, 1930. For this reason Camila, sister of Gregorio, served as a housewife. When the civil war broke out, he did not hesitate to welcome the religious who requested it into his home. He went to the prison of Sant Feliu, endangering his life, to ask for the release of the religious of San Pedro ad Víncula who were arrested there. On February 15, 1937, he was arrested too at his home with three religious, Camila and Elisha. All of them were executed in the Rabassada road and thrown into a common grave. He was a fervent Catholic, hospitable man, and practiced justice and love of neighbor. Responsible in his work, affectionate father, sought the human and religious education of their children.



Born September 14, 1889, Nidáguila. She was baptized on the same day. She received Confirmation in in Sedano in 1892. She lived her childhood and youth in Burgos. When in Barcelona, she took charge of the family of his brother Gregorio who became a widow on March 21, 1930. In 1936 she welcomed several religious of the Congregation of San Pedro ad Víncula into her house, knowing the danger of this act. For seven months he cared for and protected all those housed there. On February 15, 1937, five militiamen and a militiawoman assaulted her house, destroyed all religious objects and arrested her with her brother, three religious and Elisha. All suffer the same fate: “checa” of Sant Elies, execution in the Rabassada and common grave. Camila was kind and simple with everyone, hospitable and favoured the religious practice of the lodged.



Born September 10, 1906, Celada del Camino (Burgos). He was baptized on the 16th of the same month. His father, a railway truck driver, moved frequently. Shortly before the outbreak of the war, he moved to Barcelona in search of work and stayed in the house of the Congregation. When religious persecution breaks out, he unites his life with that of the religious. As a layman of trust, he was an intermediary between the religious. On February 15, 1937, he was arrested at Gregorio’s house. He participated with piety and with faith in the final destiny of the other five imprisoned people. He was a kind, noble and helpful man. He accepted the risk of living with the religious and helping as much as possible.



Sister Andrea was born in Lérida on April 3, 1875.  She was baptized in the church of St. Lawrence the Martyr.  She received the Sacrament of Confirmation at one year of age.  She entered the Institute in April of 1873 and she professed on May 20, 1894.

The testimony of the Sisters is unanimous.  She was self-giving, joyful and creative.  Her dedication had matured into a strong interior life and into a profound love for the Virgin Mary, mother of the Good Shepherd, who toiling to the point of exhaustion gave his life up for his sheep. Her love for Mary was transmitted with excitement and conviction to her students.  Her students remembered how several times a day she would speak of Mary and turn to her frequently.  They would invoke the strength and protection of Mary at the beginning and end of classes.  Her imitation of Mary, of her FIAT, is a hymn to obedience and a hymn to joy.  Whatever God wants of me…

The Spanish Civil War found her in the Community of Premiá de Mar.  The militiamen recognized them as religious and executed them on July 31, 1936.  She was identified by the number assigned when she entered into the Congregation.  From Mary, she received the strength to live loving and dying forgiving, following the example of Christ.     

Each of these three sisters lived the Franciscan traits of simplicity, humility and joy in a very exemplary way.  The daily Eucharist, so loved by Blessed José Tous, infused in them the necessary strength to suffer with Christ.

Religious of the Congregation of Capuchin Sisters of the Mother of the Divine Shepherd


She was born in Manresa (Barcelona), Diocese of Vic.  She was baptized on July 4, 1870 and confirmed on October 25th of the same year.   She entered the Capuchin Sisters of the Mother of the Divine Shepherd in 1896, making her perpetual vows in 1903.

At the outbreak of the revolution in 1936, she had been assigned to the Community at Premiá de Mar (Barcelona).  Initially, she lodged with Sister Andrea Solans in the home of the Estival family, waiting for an opportunity to travel to Manresa where her family lived.  A son of the Estival family who accompanied her in her trip to Barcelona witnessed her detainment.

Recently, the investigative file related to the death of both sisters was found.  They died between Hospitalet and Prat de Llobregat on July 31, 1936.  Their bodies were taken that same day to the judicial storage facility and buried in a common grave in that community.  She was able to be identified through a kerchief in her pocket with the number 170 on it, that being her registration number in the Congregation.

As an authentic follower of St. Francis and of Blessed José Tous, she excelled in the true joy which blossoms from the generous dedication and gratitude toward the Lord.  It was the joy of being able to live in God’s peace and rejoice in God.  According to some of her students, “she inspired trust,” attracting them with her initiatives and her teaching style novel for her time, and with her joy and generosity.  Her life as well as her death was a witness to the value of love and forgiveness.  She gave witness to the only absolute value in life, who is God, a value that she often instilled in her students and which she lived faithfully to the point of giving up her own life. 

Religious of the Congregation of Capuchin Sisters of the Mother of the Divine Shepherd


She was born in Sant Feliu de Codines (Barcelona) on April 13, 1877.  Two days later she was baptized in the parish of Sant Feliu and at three years of age received the Sacrament of Confirmation. She entered the Institute of the Capuchin Sisters of the Mother of the Divine Shepherd in 1908, and professed in the Novitiate House of Sarriá in 1909.  She was part of the Community-School of Sarriá at the beginning of the Revolution.

As was the case for all the sisters, it was hard for them to leave their convent on July 19, 1936, and she took refuge in the home of some neighbors, the Aumedes family.  She witnessed the assault and burning of the school.

Unable to continue lodging in the aforementioned home, she took refuge in her brother´s home in Sants, but several days later, fearing that she would endanger them, she tactfully left them a goodbye note and left the house.  On July 31 of the same year, she went to offer her services at the Clinical Hospital, but upon recognizing her as a religious, they denied her admittance.  Sister Dolores Massó tells us that “Sister Patrocinio had a feeling that she was going to die and she asked me to sew a crucifix in her undergarments, inasmuch as she foresaw what would occur on the way.  I later learned that on July 31, her body was delivered to the Clinical Hospital.”

This sister led a hidden and simple life of a Capuchin sister.  Her simplicity was reflected in the humble fidelity in carrying out ordinary things, in her relationship with other sisters, children and youth, transmitting to them the fact that God loves them.  She led a modest and humble life, carrying out with simplicity, joy and perfection, the tasks assigned by the Institute.  She was committed and loved her vocation which she had discerned at age 14 yet which she needed to postpone until age 31 in order to take care of her family.

Religious of the Congregation of Capuchin Sisters of the Mother of the Divine Shepherd


He was born in Nava del Rey (Valladolid) on 20 May 1872. Three days later he received the Sacrament of Baptism and with five months the Sacrament of Confirmation. When he was 7 years old she was orphaned as a father, she was the oldest of six children. The Blessed Carmen of the Child Jesus, foundress of the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Hearts, opened a house in that city. Baudelia captivated by the spirit and the way of life of the nuns, at the age of fifteen she applied to enter the novitiate in Antequera (Málaga). With the name of Carlota of the Visitation, she made the first vows in February 1889 and in 1893, the perpetual vows. At 21 years old she obtained Teacher title at the Normal School of Seville. Conducted by love for God and the Congregation, and for competent service to the brothers, she held various positions of responsibility: Faithful Secretary of the Foundress, Secretary and General Councilor, Communities Superior and School Director. In the last years of his life he went through some incomprehensions in which he demonstrated his fidelity to the charism.

The religious persecution reached it in Vilanova de Bellpuig (Lérida). Whith the expulsion of the Community of the College House, was received in various homes. Refugee in one of Barcelona, ​​the porters gave her away as a nun. The FAI stopped her. In coherence with his whole life, he gave it for love of God, in Barcelona, ​​on 11 November 1936. In it stands out the spirit of prayer and piety, his kindness and character firmness. He excelled in fidelity, dedication and service to the Foundress and the Congregation. Shortly before his death he wrote a Life of Blessed Mother Carmen, in which we can find reflected his own virtues and his experience of the spirit of the Congregation.

Religious at the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Hearts Congregation